THE BEST



Best book title: Arthur C. Nelson, History of the Effective Establishment of Congregationalism in the Australian Colonies and New Zealand, 1930. (Price 2 shillings).

Most frustrating moment: Now I'm going to tell you something about that minister that no-one else knows, but don't you write it down . . . Oh dear, I've forgotten what I was going to say.

Best statement of integration: I still live my Congregationalism in my contribution to the Uniting Church.

Oldest contributor: Ken Blackwell, who, another contributor said, "is still spreading showers of blessing wherever he goes."
I am an old man of 92 years, possibly the oldest of the ministers who were Congregational, now Uniting.

Best statement of priorities: Buildings are a burden. We deal with buildings and hold meetings when we should be out serving.

Best reason for postponing a contribution: Your letter received. It gave me cause to stop and think. No mean achievement at this age and stage. I shall try to clarify and order these diverse thoughts and recollections when I have completed my tax return. I can only concentrate in one thing at a time these days.

Most loved wisdom words: "The Lord has yet more light and truth / To break forth from his Word."

Most moving statement of faith: (From a contributor who has a mental illness)
I have felt much loneliness at particular periods in life, losing our beloved family dog in 1971, losing my youth, losing various elderly friends and relatives. The losses can be mourned and adjusted to, and God sent His beloved Son, to exhort and encourage us, "you are never totally alone in all this."

Best statement of the Church as a pilgrim people: I am very grateful to the Congregational Church for lighting the candle of my search for spirituality. My Congregational roots help me to keep searching now. I hope that I will never say, "I have arrived."

Most distinguished contributor: Angas Hurst, who, when asked about his career, made this statement:
After a spell of four years with the RAAF as a radar officer during the war, I have been an academic. My first job after graduating from Cambridge was in the mathematics department in Melbourne from 1952-56. Then until my retirement in 1988 I was in the mathematical physics department, Adelaide, finishing up as a professor.

He did not mention that he was pro-vice-chancellor of the University of Adelaide, a fellow of the Australian Academy of Science, chair of the National Committee for Physics, and councillor and vice-president of the Australian Academy of Science.

Professor Hurst is noted for his work in lattice models, quantum field theory, asymptotic expansions and Lie groups.

Congregational name most often mentioned: Rev. Isabelle Merry, Victoria's first woman minister. In a heartening indication of the Church's concern for aboriginal welfare, Rev. Jim Downing, pioneer minister in the Centre and Top End, came a close second.

Best image of the Holy Spirit at work: An incendiary bomb. During the war we had demonstrations of how not to treat incendiary bombs when they fell in your territory. The last thing you did was to spray them with water. You needed to dowse them with sand and deprive them of oxygen. But as soon as you put water on them, they exploded. They exploded into fragments, and each fragment was alive and burning and causing fires.

Best-known contributors: Phillip Adams and Gough Whitlam

Best submission title: A personal Testimony- or the Ramblings of a 77-year-old Former Congregationalist. From Len Jackson.

Most loved image of Church: "Where two or three are gathered together in my
name . . ."

Best Congregational Recipe:
MOCK CHICKEN- (as used as sandwich filling at Sunday school picnics)
60g grated cheese
1 small onion
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
60g butter
1-2 large tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
Simmer all ingredients (except breadcrumbs) gently for 1 minutes. When cooked add breadcrumbs.

Best feminist statement: At the World Council of Churches conference in Canberra 1991 I became impressed with the concept of the feminine part of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit as the feminine wisdom of God.

Most optimistic attitude to Church Union: We can rejoice that all doctrinal and theological differences between our three denominations appear to have been resolved. All that remains is the need to work through a few legal and practical implementation problems. Rev. Alexander Gosman, 1899.

Best advice to women Congregationalists: Often we serve home best by seeking to enlarge our interests and widen our outlook on life. We cannot be the women we ought to be if we fail to promote health in every possible way . . . We ought also to seek to cultivate our intellect. Annie Deans, wife of Rev. Absalom Deans, writing in North Perth Congregational Church Chronicle, May 1906.

Most startling Congregational recipe: COMMUNION WINE: A SUBSTITUTE FOR GRAPE JUICE
As served at Chewton Congregational Church.
Place a jar of raspberry jam with water in a jug.
Add cochineal.
Strain to remove seeds. Serve.

Sunday School songs most often sung at interview:'Our Sunday School is Over' and 'Hear the Pennies Dropping'.

Most astute comment about sectarianism: My mother was a devout Anglican when they were married. My father was Presbyterian, though the religion of his family generally was Anti-Roman-Catholicism.

Best insight into music: Most people will sing any ridiculous words if they like the tune. Church congregations are no exception. (Davies 50).

Most appreciative contributor: Betty Patrick of Queensland, aged 82. Her hand-written answers, in a beautifully neat, steady script, are full of appreciation of the Congregational heritage.
Thankyou for the opportunity to participate in this project, and for being the "trigger" to so many happy memories . . . The value of this experience has been immeasurable . . . Wise elders? There have been so many . . . I have treasured the Spirit-filled church families with whom I have worshipped . . . I owe much . . . a time of rich fellowship . . .

Most touching contribution: Jim Downing's. I sent Rev. Jim Downing the list of questions that all participants received. A week later somebody said, "Jim Downing is dying of cancer. Did you know?" A fortnight after his death, I received a page of notes in very wobbly writing, and a covering letter from his wife. He had answered some of the questions for me in the last few days of his life.




Next: Chapter 28. And a Final Word ...

Back to index: Index

No comments:

Post a Comment