INTERLUDE: SUNDAYS IN THE 1940’S



A woman participant remembered her childhood:

Sundays were almost entirely taken up with worshipping then, but this was not seen as a chore. There was a lunch-time roast dinner ritual, because the dinner could be put in the oven before the family left for church. My mother was in the choir, often singing a solo. When we arrived home she organised dinner too, but there was no complaint.

In the afternoon there was Sunday School, and there was another service at 7 at night. After 1947 when their first car arrived from England, the family often went for a small drive on Sunday afternoons.

I was never allowed to knit on Sundays, until one wet afternoon I was driving everyone mad and was told by her mother to get my wool and needles, but not to tell my father.

It was good enough for my mother to get meals, but my parents didn’t buy from the milk-bar on that day. People valued their day off; if they bought from the milk-bar, someone else couldn’t have that time of leisure.


*



Next: Chapter 3. Sunday School

Back to index: Index

No comments:

Post a Comment